yellow small

Saturday, August 3, 2013

"Can't Beet Brownies"

Hey y'all. So one of my LOVES is finding healthy swaps for sweet treats. I have a HUGE sweet tooth! Like I could eat chocolate all day and never eat a meal. But isn't that most girls? ;) Brownies are also the hubs favorite dessert! I feel bad when I don't bake them for him enough. But I also don't want all the junk in our house! Soooo I have been on the search for a healthy brownie recipe! And of course, my FAVORITE health & nutrition blogger did it again. I am excited to share this recipe, I made a couple of swaps to hers.
Here ya go: "Can't Beet Brownies"
Recipe Adapted from: The Detoxinista: "Fudgy Buckwheat Brownies" (Detoxinista.com)
1/2 cup organic canned diced beets, 1/2 cup almond flour, 2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds, 6 Tablespoons water, 1/2 cup honey *plus a little more if you like brownies sweet ;)* 2/3 cup cocoa powder **A little less if you don't want your brownies very rich** 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 Tablespoons Enjoy life chocolate chips.
Directions: Preheat your oven to 350F and line an 8″x8″ pan with parchment paper.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the ground flax seeds and water, and allow them to gel together for about 10 minutes.
Next, Drain the Canned Beats.
Now for the fun part! Puree the beats. (I seriously love my food processor WAY too much! ;)
Add the pureed beets, almond flour, honey, cocoa powder, salt and vanilla to the bowl with the gelled flax seed mixture, and stir WELL.
It will look like brownie batter.
Transfer the batter to a parchment-lined baking dish, (Brownies will stick if you don't). Use a spatula to spread the batter evenly to the edges. (ALL I had was a pie pan! Most of our Kitchen stuff is in storage. But Hey brownie pie sounds great too!;)
Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until the center is fairly firm to the touch.
Next time I make these I will definitely add less cocoa. The were VERY rich. But the hubs didn't mind & that's all that matters to me! I hope y'all enjoy this recipe! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment